Saturday 2 February 2013

Flourless Chocolate Brownies

The second recipe I tried from my new Annie Bell book was this brownie. I was quite curious how this would turn out, as I modified the recipe (I don't normally change recipe without trying out first the original, but there are exceptions) . First of all I used half the sugar the recipe originally suggested (200 g) - and was still sweet enough -, left out the additional 50 g of dark chocolate chips and added some berries. These days I go to the gym 5 times a week and I didn't want to ruin my hard earned -kgs. The result was a beautifully moist, melt in your mouth light brownies. As it doesn't contain any flour it is gluten free, but crumblier than the usual brownies.

Flourless Chocolate Brownies





Ingredients
250 g dark chocolate broken into pieces (around 60%-70 cocoa solids)
250 g unsalted butter, diced
100 g golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs
150 g  ground almonds
1 heaped tsp baking powder, sifted
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
handful of berries


Preheat the oven to 170C and prepare a 23 cm square tin (rectangle is fine as well).

Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl set over a pan with a little simmering water in it. Remove from the heat, add the sugar and stir to combine, then leave to cool slightly. Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture, one by one, beating after each addition until the mixture is very glossy.


Gently fold in the ground almonds, baking powder and cinnamon without overmixing.


Spread the chocolate mixture in the tin, sprinkle over the fruits and bake for 25-35 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean with just a few moist crumbs on it.



Leave to cool completely in the tin - it will be very crumbly to begin with, but will firm up a little by the following day. The brownies will keep well in an airtight container for several days (ha-ha not in our household).



Hints and tips:
You can also replace the sugar with fruit sugar(Tate Lyle what I use sometimes) or agave to make your brownies totally sugar and flour free as well

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I didn't mean to remove this comment and thank you very much for the compliment......Wish I know how to restore it:(

      Delete