Sunday 3 November 2013

Lebkuchen Mézeskalács

Recently I started baking again and with the clock change and the miserable windy, wet weather inspired me to bake more and more Christmas goods. I found my old recipe cards I got from my auntie and just the kind of recipe I was after: Lebkuchen. The recipe I got is the one without butter making it lighter and less sinful.
 

Lebkuchen - Mézeskalács

 
Ingredients (makes about 35)
zest of 2 lemon -finely chopped
50 ml Kirsch
2 eggs
50 g honey
200g muscavado sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon of cloves
1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 pinch of black pepper
1 vanilla pod
50 g ground almond
300 g self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
 
80-100g icing sugar to cover the surface
 
 
Place the zest of one lemon in the Kirsch and leave it to soak for 20 minutes.
 
Preheat the oven to 200C and line two baking sheet with baking parchment.
 
Beat together the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together all dry ingredients then add in the egg mixture lemon zest, Kirsch and honey. Form a nice dough and shape it to a 5cm thick big "sausage".
 
Cut it to small pieces and form 2cm small balls with the palm of your hands.
Place them on a baking tray (leave some spaces in between) and bake it for 15-20 minutes.
 
When it is ready take them out of the oven and roll it in icing sugar while still hot.
Leave it rest until next day to soften a little.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment